Every year, hundreds of people strive to become permanent residents and obtain their PR card in Canada, since it is a nation of opportunity. In truth, Canada’s number of successful applications has been growing year after year. The Canadian government intends to welcome 411,000 people to become permanent residents in 2022, and that figure is growing!
Learn more about how to achieve Canada PR by reading the following:
Canada Permanent Residence
1. What is a Canadian Permanent Resident?
A permanent resident is someone who has been granted permanent resident status after moving to Canada but is not a citizen of Canada. Permanent residents are foreign nationals. A temporary resident in Canada, such as a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.
2. Find out if you qualify for permanent residency.
Calculate your Express Entry score in the CRS system. Add up all the points you can get by looking at the age, education level, official language competence, second official language, and Canadian job experience categories. Furthermore, unless they can already legally work in Canada or have a legitimate employment offer from an employer, applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have adequate means to sustain themselves and their families.
Improve your CRS score in order to be considered for permanent residency.
3. Who is eligible to apply for permanent residency?
Anyone can apply for permanent residency in Canada, but only eligible persons will be approved. To determine if you are eligible for permanent residency, you will be assessed by your:
- Education level
- Official language competency
- Second official language
- Canadian work experience
4. The Advantages of Becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada
There are several advantages to becoming a citizen that many foreign people anticipate when starting a new life in Canada. Among these advantages are the following:
- Canadian politics – Canadian citizens have a stronger voice and can vote in federal, provincial, and local elections. Citizens also have the right to run for office and participate in political activities, which means they have a voice in who administers Canada’s many levels of government.
- High-level positions – Citizens can apply for higher-level federal jobs, which frequently pay well and come with benefits.
- Dual citizenship – As a Canadian citizen, you are not compelled to make Canada your principal residence. You may seek for dual citizenship if applicable.
- Family – If a child is born in Canada, he or she is immediately a Canadian citizen. This enables you to begin a better life for any future children without having to go through the immigration application procedure.
- Taxes – If you become a Canadian citizen and opt to live overseas, you may be exempt from paying Canadian taxes because they are based on residency rather than citizenship.
5. Period of Stay in Canada for PR
The PR Card is usually valid for five years and can be renewed. To maintain your permanent resident status, you must spend 730 days in Canada within those five years.
There are five main categories of Canadian Permanent Residents.
Through specific economic immigration categories, the Express Entry program administers applications for permanent residency for immigrants who can fill occupations when there is a shortage of available competent Canadian employees. Use our crs score calculator, which is linked below, to determine your CRS score.
- Canada Express Entry
- The most recent Express Entry Draws
- Calculator for CRS
The Business Immigration Program of Canada provides a way for immigrants and newcomers who have expertise owning, managing, or investing in businesses to invest and find work in Canada.
- Business Immigration to Canada
- Visa for Entrepreneurs
- Program for Self-Employment
Immigration under the Family Class
Family sponsorship is a method of reuniting separated families in Canada. Through several sponsorship schemes, Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their family members to immigrate to Canada.
- Sponsorship of a Family Class
- Sponsorship for a spouse
- Sponsorship by Grandparents
- Parental Support
- Sponsorship of Children
- Sponsorship for Siblings
Canadian Experience Class
The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration program that assists temporary foreign workers and foreign students in applying for residency based on their work experience and education.
- Canadian Experience Course
- Discover Your NOC Code
- Top Concerns Regarding the Canadian Experience Class
Provincial Nominees Program
The Provincial Nominee Program, sometimes known as the PNP, is a program for people who have the abilities, education, and job experience to contribute to the economy of a certain Canadian province or territory. Each province and territory has its own streams and programs aimed at students, entrepreneurs, skilled employees, and semi-skilled workers.
- Program for Provincial Nominees
- The most recent PNP draws
- Calculator for CRS
How to Obtain Permanent Resident Status in Canada in 2022
The criteria and procedural processes fluctuate depending on the option you select, so it’s critical to understand more and consider speaking with an immigration specialist. A PR Card will be sent to you once you have been accepted or invited to become a Canadian permanent residence.
Requirements for PR in Canada
There are several ways to become a Canadian Permanent Resident. Each of these initiatives has its own set of public relations needs.
Visit the relevant page for your program to discover more about what you need to become a Canadian Permanent Resident (ex: Family Immigration, Express Entry, etc.)
Obtaining a Canadian Permanent Resident Card
You can use your permanent resident card to prove that you have PR status in Canada. If you go outside of Canada, you must display your card plus your passport while returning on a commercial vehicle such as an airline, boat, railway, or bus. Those going outside of Canada who do not have or are not carrying a valid PR card must apply for a permanent resident travel document before returning to Canada in a commercial vehicle.
A PR card is normally valid for five years, however it can also be valid for one year. It is valid until the card’s expiration date. Canada only delivers PR cards to domestic locations.
In some situations, you may be required to pick up your card in person at a Canadian government office.
If you discover an error on your PR card, you can request that it be reprinted. If a name is too lengthy to fit on the card, we will abbreviate it. This is not an error. Learn how to correct a mistake on your PR card.
Changing PR’s Temporary Status
Whether you are temporarily in Canada to live, work, or study, you have the opportunity to change your status to permanent residency.
Work Permit — It is fairly usual to apply for permanent residency with a work permit, which may be obtained by:
- FSWP (Federal Skilled Worker Program) PNP
- (Provincial Nominee Program)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
Study Visa – If you are an international student in Canada seeking permanent residency, your possibilities are quite similar to those with a work permit. The best option to gain permanent residency with a study visa in Canada is to apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program first, followed by an application for permanent residency.
Visitor Visa – Although it is extremely difficult to successfully transfer your temporary status to permanent residency using a tourist/visitor visa, there are few exceptions. Typically, the only option to do so is to qualify as a refugee or to have a Canadian citizen as a partner.
Canada’s Multi-Year Immigration Plan
Every year, Canada aims to welcome and accept thousands of people to become permanent citizens. The graphic below shows that over 1 million permanent residents are being approved to live in Canada.
You Can Lose Your Permanent Resident Status If You:
- AFTER AN INQUIRY OR PRTD APPEAL, AN ADJUDICATOR DETERMINES YOU ARE NO LONGER A PERMANENT RESIDENT;
- YOU VOLUNTARILY RENOUNCE YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS;
- A REMOVAL ORDER IS MADE AGAINST YOU AND COMES INTO FORCE;
- YOU BECOME A CANADIAN CITIZEN.
We Can Assist You in Becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada in 2022
The procedure of applying for permanent residency may be complicated, time-consuming, and challenging. Because many temporary residents convert to permanent residents, it is critical that if you are contemplating applying for Canadian permanent residence, you get competent immigration assistance throughout the Canada PR process. The last thing you want to hear is that your application has been denied after months (or even years) of waiting.
We have over 15 years of expertise and have helped hundreds of individuals come to Canada, and we are certain that we can help you as well! We look forward to assisting you in achieving your immigration objectives!
To discover more about your possibilities, Speak with our consultants.
For questions and guides, Drop your question in the comment box below.