Hi, How Can We Help You?


April 21, 2022

Discover how to navigate in Canada with your spouse and children in 2022

Information about how to sponsor your family for permanent residency in Canada.

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada can sponsor their immediate family to immigrate to Canada.

If you are a Canadian citizen requesting to sponsor a family member from another country, you must show that you plan to return after Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) reaches a judgment on your application. Spouses of permanent residents must be sponsored from within Canada.

There are a few additional particular requirements as well. You, as the sponsor, must fulfill certain qualifying requirements. For example, you must be at least 18 years old, have Canadian citizenship, permanent residency, or Indian status (as defined by the Indian Act), be able to financially support your family, and not be on social assistance.

There are also other conditions that may render you ineligible for sponsorship, such as not having your bankruptcy dismissed.

Canada recognizes three sorts of partners when it comes to sponsoring under this program: spouses, common-law partners, and conjugal partners. You can also sponsor your children who are financially reliant on you.

  • An in-person ceremony is required for spouses to marry their sponsor. Virtual marriages are not recognized for immigration grounds.
  • Common-law partners must show that they have been living together for at least a year.
  • Conjugal partners are people who live outside of Canada and have been together for at least a year. They must show that there are legal or societal obstacles that hinder them from marrying or living together. A conjugal spouse who lives in Canada cannot be sponsored.

The immigration official working on your case will also want to see proof that you and your spouse are truly in love. They want to admit people who are coming to Canada to reunite with their families, rather than people who are marrying for the express goal of immigrating to Canada.

Your companion must be over the age of 18 in all situations. IRCC will conduct medical and background security investigations to ensure that your companion is eligible to enter the country. People who have been convicted of a crime are frequently denied entry to Canada, although there may be ways to avoid criminal inadmissibility.


Fill Our Free Assessment Form To Begin

Children who are reliant

Children who are under the age of 22 and do not have a spouse or common-law partner are considered dependents. If they are 22 or older and are unable to financially support themselves due to a mental or physical ailment, they may qualify as dependents if they have relied on their parents for financial assistance since before they became 22.

If your kid turns 22 while your application is being processed, they may still be considered a dependent. They must, however, continue to follow all of the other previously indicated standards until the application is processed by IRCC.

You can list your child as the major candidate in the application if your own child does not qualify as a citizen and you wish to sponsor them without supporting your partner. You must show that the other parent or legal guardian consents to your child’s immigration to Canada.

You can either sponsor your own child or sponsor your partner’s child. Even though your child was not born in Canada, if you are a Canadian citizen, your child may already be a citizen. If you haven’t already done so, you may need to apply for a Proof of Citizenship for your foreign-born kid. If your child is already a citizen, you do not need to sponsor them.

If you’re sponsoring your spouse and a dependent kid, you’ll list your partner as the primary applicant and your child as a dependent on the application.

If a dependent kid has a dependent child of their own (your grandchild), they can be included in the application as well.

Adopted children and orphaned family members have distinct sponsorship procedures than your own or your partner’s child.

Fill Our Free Assessment Form To Begin

The immigration process for spouses, common-law partners, and dependent children

Your application to become a sponsor and your family’s application for permanent residency are both necessary to sponsor your husband, partner, or kid. Both the sponsorship and permanent residency applications must be filed simultaneously. If you live in Quebec, you will need to go through a different sponsorship process.

Obtaining the application package is the first step. In the entire handbook, the government gives particular and up-to-date information, as well as instructions on how to fill out forms. Foreign nationals’ documentation will be determined by their resident status, the country from which they are applying, and maybe their travel history.

In addition to the application guidance, the IRCC provides a documentation checklist that lists the papers and instructions you’ll need to complete your application. This list is subject to change, so double-check before submitting all of your papers. Various nations will have different needs for forms.

When IRCC receives your entire application, the processing begins. If the officer discovers that your application is incomplete, they will send it back to you, and you will have to resubmit.

Spousal sponsorship applications are typically processed in 12 months by the IRCC, however it may take longer. Children’s applications differ per nation.

IRCC requires biometrics and a medical exam from overseas candidates during the processing period. You will have 30 days to submit your documents. At any time, IRCC may request further information or an in-person interview.

Until IRCC makes a judgment on your application, you can follow and amend its status online. The IRCC will offer you guidance on how to complete the remaining procedures necessary for the foreign spouse or common-law partner to become a permanent residence.

Fill Our Free Assessment Form To Begin

To discover more about your possibilities, Speak with our consultants.

Or  See Other Visa Opportunities Here>>>

For questions and guides, Drop your question in the comment box below.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">html</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>